Every President of the Rotary Club of Calcutta wears this emblem on the Presidential collar, while conducting regular club meetings. Uneasy lies the neck that wears the collar - for it is stringed with 82 bits of solid silver with the names of all the past-presidents inscribed on them. The emblem itself depicts in red, the Rotary motto, "Service Above Self". Below is a crown reminiscent of the British legacy of 1919. Two adjutant storks, typical of the Gangetic plains stand guard on either side. Inside are two green palm trees - commonly found in these parts. We see the British Lion insignia in red in between and below it a sailing ship which connected Calcutta with distant shores. At the bottom is the Presidential motto inscribed in Latin, "Per Ardua Stabiles Esto." (Be firm in adversity). This Chain of Office was presented to the Club by Rotarian J. H. Simpson in 1927. Source: Club History Book.
This design seems influenced by the earlier emblem of the Calcutta Corporation which came into existence in 1896. This "represented two Adjutant Birds holding in their beaks serpents and carrying a Crown on their shoulders".