Nitish Chandra Laharry, a member of our club, was the first Asian President of Rotary International in 1962-63.
On the day he assumed office in Chicago, Illinois, USA (Sunday, July 1, 1962) Sm. Padmaja Naidu the Governor of West Bengal laid the Foundation Stone of a Children's Library at 94/2 Chowringhee Road, Calcutta.
That building came up and in due course was expanded to the present Rotary Sadan.
Rotary Club of Calcutta
Rotary Sadan, 1st Floor
94/2 Chowringhee Road
Calcutta 700 020
Tel 223-8787 / 8686 Ext 33 E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org Librarian: Ms Tania Ray
HOURS: Monday to Saturday: 2 pm to 6 pm.
- Open to children from 5 - 18
- Text Book Bank for Classes 9 to 12 (WB / ICSE / CBSE)
- Reference books including Dictionaries, Thesaurus, Encyclopedias.
- Large collection of story books (English and Bengali)
- Magazines section (including Competition Success, Competition Master, Anandamela, Chandmama, Khela, Sportstar, Suktara, Tinkle, Padasuno, Naydash, Kishore Gyan Bijnan.
- Bengali, Hindi and English sections.
- Free Reading Room.
- Computer, Educational CDs.
Rules for Text Book section
- Arts/Science/Commerce. 2 books can be borrowed for 15 days.
- Application form Rs. 2
- Security deposit (refundable) Rs. 100
- Yearly subscription Rs. 80 (2 instalments of Rs 40)
Rules for Story Book section
- Application form Re. 1
- Security deposit (refundable) Rs. 20
- Yearly subscription Rs. 40